“Leaders think and talk about the solutions. Followers think and talk about the problems.” Brian Tracy
Leadership matters, particularly in the developing world. In PNG, leaders shape economic conditions, affect the quality of governance and impact the prospects for further development.
KTF is finding and fostering the next generation of PNG’s leaders. Each year, KTF takes a cohort of final-year tertiary students who have demonstrated unquestioned commitment to their studies, communities and country on an intensive, experiential leadership development journey. The program develops the confidence, networks, skills, resources and support systems that the young leaders need to practice and exercise exceptional leadership. By exposing them to new and challenging environments and partnering them with senior mentors, our young leaders enhance their leadership and professional skills. Their year-long experiential leadership journey as ‘Archer Leaders’ results in extraordinary young graduates, with lasting networks and the ability and willingness to create much needed change in PNG.
The impact of the Archer Scholarship on its recipients has been profound.
“…Before the program I thought you’d get a degree and work. Now I’ve changed my mindset. I’m partly passionate about making a change in PNG and partly want to network outside of PNG to better understand what I could do in the community. The program has made me feel more responsible for my country [in the future]…” Female Archer Alumni, 2015 cohort
- Since 2011, scholarships have been offered to 50 final year tertiary students representing Provinces right across PNG.
- All Archer Scholarship alumni have expressed a desire to remain in PNG and address community problems.
- 94% of alumni believe the Archer Scholarship had a positive impact on their belief in the own leadership skills.
- 76% of alumni believe the Archer Scholarship changed the direction of their life and goals.
- 68% of alumni have become more active in their own community since the Archer Scholarship program.
In 2018, thanks to generous funding from the Fred P. Archer trust (managed by Perpetual Trustees) and the Wafi-Golpu Joint Venture, we have been able to increase the cohort to 8 Archer Leaders. Learn more about this Program.